The City is no longer accepting new reservations for the Snohomish Carnegie Building through January 10, 2023 and temporarily suspend processing applications for special event permits through January 10, 2023.
The City of Snohomish has reached capacity on the number of special events and Carnegie Building reservations through the end of the year based on current resources. As such, we are no longer accepting new reservations for the Snohomish Carnegie Building through January 10, 2023, effective Monday, October 24, 2022, and we will temporarily suspend processing applications for special event permits through January 10, 2023, effective Monday, October 31, 2022.
Regarding the future focus and purpose of the Snohomish Carnegie Building, City staff are currently updating the contract, scheduling and reservation process, and fee schedule for the facility, effective January 10, 2023. At that time, we will require a minimum of 90 days to book and confirm a reservation for the building.
Regarding special event permit requests and contracts, City staff are currently updating the application and permit process, also effective January 10, 2023. After researching best practices with our peer municipalities, issues staff are considering implementing include:
- increasing the minimum advance reservation time from 60 to 120 days;
- instituting a more robust review process that includes the City Attorney and representatives from all impacted City departments;
- requiring event organizers to attend both a pre-event contract review AND post-event debrief meeting;
- implementing a community and merchant notification process of pending and approved events;
- streamlining requests and ensure security for events protected by the First Amendment;
- in addition to requiring a traffic control plan for high-impact events, also requiring a detailed schedule of events, day-of contacts, and a security plan;
- proposing tighter guidelines and requirements that could potentially limit the number of events that require an extensive or multi-day closure of First Street during merchant hours.
Organizers who would like to apply for a special event permit between November 1, 2022 and May 10, 2023 should contact Shari Ireton (email@example.com, 425.512.1839) as soon as possible. Organizations and individuals planning an event after May 10, 2023 should be prepared to submit their application request as soon as the new form is posted on the City’s website (no less than 120 days prior to their event) on or soon after January 10, 2023.
We understand that these changes may create some uncertainty and we encourage you to reach out with any and all questions or concerns sooner rather than later. We also welcome suggestions and feedback from your previous experiences. We greatly appreciate your partnership and patience as we develop a comprehensive special events process for the City that is more efficient and equitable.