The City of Snohomish only accepts applications for currently open and advertised positions.
Vacancies are advertised locally and are posted here on the city's website. We do not accept unsolicited resumes or application packets for positions that are not currently listed.
Department of Planning & Development Services
Salary Range: $57,252/year, plus generous benefits
Position Summary: Under direction of the Planning Director, the Assistant Planner processes and reviews development permit and business license applications, reviews development plans, responds to developer and citizen inquiries regarding planning and development issues, and researches long range planning issues.
This is a technical position with responsibilities for work in direct support of and in collaboration with the Planning Director and Planner on a wide range of planning issues. The Assistant Planner also provides staff support to the Planning Commission, Design Review Board and Hearing Examiner as directed by Planning Director. This may include some evenings.
Telecommuting options for this position may be available depending on the needs of the Planning Department with the City of Snohomish.
Examples of Job Duties:
- Explain and provide information to the public regarding:
- The Land Use Development Code and other development-related processes, standards and regulations;
- Application requirements and procedures; and
- Department policy and permit review process
- Assist the public in submitting applications for development permits and land use proposals.
- Review development permit and land use proposal applications for completeness and conformance to City requirements.
- Respond to questions from the public and developers regarding status of submitted applications.
- Perform research and studies of planning and development as directed by the Planning Director.
- Assist in the review of environmental checklists as part of the SEPA process.
- Work, as directed, with the Planning Director and Planner with the preparation of staff reports and meeting minutes for the Planning Commission, Hearing Examiner, and Design Review Board.
- Perform site visits and site inspections of development for conformance to approved plans, conditions, and regulations pertaining to land use regulations and design matters.
- Assist the Permit Coordinator, as directed by the Planning Director, in the processing of construction and development applications and land use proposals.
- Perform related duties as required.
Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, landscape architecture, geography, public administration or closely related field. Additional experience and specialized training may substitute for formal education.
Four years of responsible administrative and technical experience providing assistance in the administration of zoning or other development related codes and conducting planning studies.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying as determined by the Planning Director.
License or Certificate
Possession of a valid Washington State driver’s license.
Travel may be required using personal or City provided vehicle as needed.
Must successfully pass pre-employment criminal background screening and driver records check.
About the City of Snohomish
Recognized as one of the Top 10 Coolest Small Towns in America, the historic community of Snohomish is kind of like Mayberry, only with high-speed internet. As the oldest and best preserved city in Snohomish County, Snohomish is listed on both the Washington State and National Register of Historic Places. Today, you can stroll along riverfront trails or walk through historic tree-lined neighborhoods that still provide identical views seen by the First People of Snohomish (The Sdoh-doh-hohbsh) or the early pioneer settlers who expanded commerce on First Street. As a popular visitor destination, Snohomish’s First Street lures over 70,000 tourists each year. Year-round outdoor recreation is easily accessible to the high tech workers who make Snohomish home.
Include education incentives, 90% employer paid medical, 100% employer paid dental and vision, PERS eligible position, deferred compensation, life insurance, leave accruals and paid holidays. This is a Teamsters Local 763 position.
The City of Snohomish is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce.
Police Officer Jobs
All the police officers are deputies hired and trained by the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office. For job openings, please visit Snohomish County Human Resources.
The City of Snohomish offers a comprehensive benefit package for regular full-time employees.
Regular part-time employees may be eligible for medical, dental and vision coverage on a pro-rated basis.
Temporary employees are not eligible for City paid benefits.
See our Employee Benefits page for full details.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The City of Snohomish values a diverse workforce. It is the policy of the City to provide equal opportunity to all persons seeking or having access to its employment, services and activities, which is free from restriction based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or disability.