Code Enforcement

Reporting Violations

To report code violations, complete a Code Violation Complaint Form with as much detail as possible, or call City Hall at 360-568-3115. The code complaint form will have the quickest response.

Responding to Complaints

We make every effort to respond to all the requests and complaints we receive in a timely manner. With a limited staff, requests and complaints are prioritized based on significance and severity. Those complaints that involve safety or environmental hazards are first priority. 

The City is only authorized to investigate violations of our codes, and cannot become involved in civil disputes.

City Codes & Standards

The Planning & Development Services Department is charged with enforcement of the following codes and standards.

Noise Complaints

The City regulates construction noise, loud music, equipment noise, and other sounds that could create a "public disturbance" via Chapter 8.16 SMC, Public Disturbance Noise.

Equipment Noise

No construction or home maintenance noise such as hammering, lawn mowing, or heavy equipment is allowed outside the hours of 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and holidays.

Right of Way Use

The adopted public works standards and City codes do not allow any object in the public right-of-way, which generally includes streets, sidewalks, planting strips, and gravel areas along roads. Dumpsters, vehicles, recreational vehicles, and boats are some of the most common items that sometimes encroach into the right-of-way. These all need to be kept on private property.

Items illegally placed in the right-of-way could create a safety hazard. Vehicles swerve around them into oncoming traffic lanes, and pedestrians are forced off sidewalks into traffic when they have to avoid items such as dumpsters, storage pods, or basketball hoops.