Do I need to hire a professional to do the plans?
The plans for most small residential projects, additions, garages and remodels can be done by the homeowner, providing that the drawings comply with the prescriptive requirements of the codes listed on the residential checklist for permit application. Residential or commercial buildings that require engineering, exceed four residential units or exceed 4,000 square feet will require a licensed Washington State architect. Additionally, engineering calculations are required for single family residential plans that do not meet the prescriptive requirements for lateral bracing, have other than conventional wood frame construction, are of unusual shape, or have complex supporting structure or site conditions.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find out if my property is within Snohomish City limits?
2. How close to the property line can I build?
3. What is the purpose of a building permit?
4. Do I need a building permit?
5. How much will my building permit cost?
6. Who do I contact with questions about the permit application process?
7. What is required for permit submittal?
8. Do I need to hire a professional to do the plans?
9. Can I act as my own contractor?
10. How do I request an inspection?
11. When does my building permit expire?
12. How long does it take to get a permit?
13. What should I do with my permit?
14. Do I need to get a permit for a fence?
15. What is the SSPP and how do I use it?
16. How do I find out if my neighbor has a permit?